AMERICAN CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB, INC.
Definition ethics: 1. The discipline dealing with what is good and bad or right and wrong or with moral duty and obligation. 2. A group of moral principles or set of values. 3. Principles of conduct governing an individual or a profession: standards of behavior.
The ACKCSC, Inc. recognizes it’s, and it’s members, responsibility to preserve and protect the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. It further recognizes that the quality and reputation of the breed rests squarely in the hands of it’s breeders and owners. This is a guideline for how ACKCSC, Inc. members and breeders conduct themselves as they pursue their hobby of owning, showing and breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The purpose is not to punish a member for his/her conduct, but to point the way toward responsible caring ownership, exhibiting and breeding. Membership in the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, Inc. assumes acceptance of and adherence to these guidelines.
I. Breeding: I understand that the purpose of breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels is to bring the natural qualities of the breed to perfection in accordance with the ACKCSC, Inc.approved breed standard. A constant danger exists that unintentionally ignorant or disreputable breeders may, by improper practices, produce physically, mentally or temperamentally unsound specimens to the detriment of the breed. I agree to consult with the breeder of the dog I own and/or with some other experienced breeder/mentor before I undertake any breeding.
A. If I do decide to breed a litter, I will:
1. Be selective with respect to the conformation, physical well being, and temperament of the pair to be mated.
2. Breed only after careful study is undertaken of the Cavalier breed standard as it applies to the pedigrees of the mating pair.
3. Breed only Cavaliers registered with the American Kennel Club (AKC).
4. Be prepared to provide proper care for both the bitch and her litter and to retain the puppies for as long as it takes to find suitable homes.
5. Not breed from any Cavalier known to have inheritable, disqualifying disabling, or potentially disabling health defects Note: Screening for inherited diseases and health defects is strongly recommended by ACKCSC, Inc. e.g. eye, heart, patellae, and hips.
6. Not breed a Cavalier that the breeder has “limited” it’s breeding via the AKC registration unless the restriction is
revoked via proper channels with the AKC.
B. As the owner of a stud dog:
1. I will use my dog only with bitches that I feel are an asset to the breed and whose owners agree to conform to these Ethical Guidelines.
2. I will check the bitch’s pedigree and registration certificate to ascertain ownership, age, and breeding restrictions.
3. I will supply a Stud Service Certificate listing the dates of mating and terms of service.
4. I will assist the owner of the bitch with the placement of any puppies resulting from the use of my stud dog understanding that I am equally responsible for the resulting puppies.
5. I will provide one free return stud service to the same dog for a bitch that has failed to conceive or to whelp a viable litter as long as the dog is still in my ownership.
6. I will not withhold my stud dog from breeding to a bitch solely on reasons of club affiliation.
C. As the owner of a bitch:
1. I will not breed a bitch before she is eighteen months old or her third season, whichever comes first; and not breed a bitch who has reached her eighth birthday.
2. I will not allow a bitch to whelp more than two litters during any three consecutive heat cycles.
3. I will not allow a bitch to carry to term and rear more than six litters in her lifetime.
II. Care and Transfer of Puppies and Dogs:
A. I will provide all puppies I sell proper veterinary and home care, which includes:
1. A properly balanced, nutritional diet.
2. Proper and safe worming procedures for internal and external parasites so that all puppies and adult dogs remain free of parasites.
3. Proper inoculation protocols must be followed to insure the health of the puppy or adult dog.
B. I will have any puppy humanely euthanized that is found to be suffering as a result of an irreversible condition.
C. I will do my best to evaluate my breeding Cavaliers objectively and use for breeding only those conforming as closely as possible to the AKC breed standard. All Cavaliers I breed that I sell as pet quality will be neutered/spayed or will be transferred as “limited” on their AKC papers.
D. I will undertake, to the best of my ability, proper screening procedures for potential new owners. I will attempt to etermine their suitability and motives for acquiring a Cavalier. I will make an effort to determine their financial suitability to undertake financial commitment for the proper care of the dog. I will undertake to ensure that it is a stable family situation with adequate physical facilities for the dog.
E. I will not allow any puppy to leave for its new home before the age of eight weeks although twelve weeks is suggested.
F. I will ensure that each dog transferred from my household is accompanied by the following documentation:
1. Feeding instructions.
2. Written medical records including immunizations, types of vaccines used, date(s) of inoculations, date(s) of worming if any.
3. A pedigree showing at least three generations.
4. A current health certificate signed by my veterinarian.
5. A written contract signed by both parties delineating the terms of sale.
6. AKC registration papers.
H. I will encourage all new owners to have their Cavaliers checked by a veterinarian within 72 hours from the time of acquisition and notify me of the findings.
I. I will encourage all new owners to keep me informed concerning the development of any Cavalier obtained from me, and to advise me of any problems that may develop during its lifetime, as well as the eventual cause of death.
J. I will ask the owner(s) of any dog acquired from me to advise me if they are ever unable to keep their Cavalier, so that I can either take the dog back or give assistance in finding it a new home.
III. General Conduct of Members:
I will remember at all times that the ACKCSC, Inc. exists as an AKC affiliate to protect and improve the Cavalier and that as a member, my actions reflect on the Club and the breed.
A. I will:
1. Attempt to act as a mentor and try to educate each new owner or interested person in a positive and constructive manner.
2. Demonstrate good sportsmanship both inside and outside the show ring.
3. Behave in a manner that will be conducive to the advancement of the Cavalier and the ACKCSC, Inc.
4. Provide my dog(s) with adequate exercise, proper diet, veterinary health care, proper housing, exercise, food, water, house breaking, training and sanitary conditions.
5. I will have any dog humanely euthanized that is found to be suffering as a result of an irreversible condition.
6. Consider permanent identification of all dogs (as required by AKC) using a current acceptable method. The ACKCSC, Inc. strongly recommends that all dogs be permanently identified.
7. Do appropriate screening on all breeding stock and puppies I sell.
B. I will not:
1. Knowingly falsify a pedigree, health screening or breeding information.
2. Sell Cavaliers to pet shops, brokers or third party dealers.
3. Supply or sell Cavaliers for auctions, raffles, flea markets or any other such enterprise.
4. Knowingly sell to unethical breeders, or sell to persons whose intention is resale.
5. Purchase any Cavalier or any litter for resale either to an individual or a commercial establishment.
6. Maliciously or falsely denigrate another member, their Cavaliers, kennel or practices.
C. In all questions of ethics not covered by these Ethical Guidelines, I will act in the best interest of the breed at all times.
D. I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed or any given dog, falsely advertise dogs or falsely mislead in advertisements.
E. When I exhibit my Cavalier(s), I will be considerate of all other exhibitors and their dogs, remembering that I, as well as my Cavalier, represent our breed and the ACKCSC, Inc.our Club. I will abide by all AKC rules and regulations.